What is DUI?

Driving under the influence (DUI) refers to operating a vehicle while affected by alcohol, drugs, or both. This applies to both legal and illegal drugs, including prescription medication and over-the-counter drugs.

The criminal defense attorneys with Althauser Rayan Abbarno help explain what could happen to a driver’s license after being arrested for a DUI. FREE Consultations in Centralia or Olympia by calling (360) 736-1301.

DUI license suspensions

If you’re arrested for DUI:

The Washington State Department of Licensing will suspend your driver license unless:

  • You request a hearing to contest the suspension within 7 days of your arrest.
  • and
  • The hearing examiner decides in your favor.

If you don’t request a hearing or the hearing examiner doesn’t decide in your favor, your license will be suspended for 90 days to 2 years, depending on prior offenses and the severity of the incident. Your suspension will begin 30 days from the date of your arrest. For a FREE consultation in Centralia or Olympia with Jakob McGhie and our criminal defense attorneys with Althauser Rayan Abbarno, call (360) 736-1301 or visit www.CentraliaLaw.com

If the hearing examiner decides in your favor, but the court still convicts you of DUI, your driver license will be suspended as a result of the court conviction. A hearing decision in your favor applies only to the suspension resulting from the arrest.

If you’re convicted of DUI in court:

DOL may suspend your driver license for 90 days to 4 years, depending on prior offenses and the severity of the incident. The suspension will begin 45 days after we receive notice from the court showing you were convicted.

How to avoid further suspension

You may avoid more suspensions and fees if you meet the following:

  • You have full credit for time served for the same incident.
  • You must meet and we must receive the following requirements:
    • A paid fee for the same incident.
    • The ignition interlock installation compliance.
    • The alcohol assessment and treatment report requirements compliance.
    • Financial responsibility compliance, if applicable.

Getting a restricted license during your suspension

While your driver license is suspended or revoked, you may get an Ignition Interlock Driver License (IIL) that will allow you to drive a vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device for the period of your suspension or revocation.

How to get your license back after the suspension

It depends on several factors, including your blood alcohol content and whether you were involved in any previous DUI incidents. To learn how to reinstate your license, contact the criminal defense and DUI attorneys with Althauser Rayan Abbarno by calling (360) 736-1301 or visit CentraliaLaw.com

Alcohol Assessment and Treatment Report Requirements

When you’re convicted of a drug and/or alcohol related offense, you may be required to get an Alcohol/Drug Assessment/Treatment Report from a Washington state certified agency. The report provides the following information:

  • No substance abuse/dependence concerns
  • If there are no concerns – you’ll need to take a one-day class from a Washington state certified agency
  • Current treatment progress and whether or not you’re compliant with the recommendations

FREE Attorney Consultations in Centralia and Olympia

For a FREE consultation with an Althauser Rayan Abbarno attorney in Centralia or Olympia call (360) 736-1301, visit CentraliaLaw.com, or E-mail [email protected].