A common question our injury attorneys at Althauser Rayan Abbarno, LLP receive is “How do I file a workers’ compensation claim after being injured on the job?”

First, before filing a claim, be sure to report the injury to your employer and seek medical help. Injured workers have the right to see THEIR doctor and are not required to seek medical advice from a doctor recommended by the employer.

The medical provider will file a claim through their office by completing a Report of Accident. If you work for a self-insured employer, you must file your claim with them.

If you have questions about the injury or process, contact Althauser Rayan Abbarno for a FREE consultation in Olympia or Centralia by calling (360) 736-1301.

What you are going to need to start your claim:

  • Location where the injury occurred
  • Contact information for any witnesses to the injury
  • Employer information
  • Wage information
  • Names and birth dates of your dependents
  • If you have already seen a doctor:
    • Your doctor’s first and last name
    • Hospital or clinic where you received treatment

Your doctor has 5 days to send the report to L&I or your self-insured employer. Processing time will vary, depending on the type of claim. If you are eligible for wage-replacement benefits, and no further information is needed, L&I or your self-insured employer sends the first benefit check within 14 days of receiving the report.

L&I or your self-insured employer must receive your Report of Accident within 1 year of your injury date to file a claim.

FREE workers’ compensation attorney consultation in Olympia or Centralia

Contact Althauser Rayan Abbarno in Olympia or Centralia by calling (360) 736-1301 or visit CentraliaLaw.com