All drivers in the State of Washington must carry liability insurance and proof of the auto insurance, including for a motorcycle.

Up to 20% of drivers may not have enough insurance coverage for all the property damage and injuries they cause. Some drivers also choose to drive illegally without auto insurance. If you are injured in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, here’s what you need to know. 

Immediately call 911 and request emergency assistance.

Never leave the scene of the accident

Don’t leave the scene without calling the police, even if there are no visible injuries and the accident seems minor.

Get as much information as possible

If you have a cell phone with a camera, take pictures of the vehicle’s damage. Document as much information as possible about the accident, the other vehicle and the other driver. Gather information and photos without interfering with police and emergency responders.

Law enforcement is required to make a report in some cases.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage

If your auto policy includes uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim with your company. Your collision and personal injury protection (PIP) coverage covers damage to your car and reasonable and necessary medical bills.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage may help pay for damage and injury caused by a hit-and-run accident or a phantom vehicle. You might even have a lower deductible under these circumstances. A phantom vehicle causes injury or damage without touching your vehicle. An example of this is a car swerving into your lane and causing you to crash to avoid it. You must report a phantom vehicle accident to the police within 72 hours if you’re making an auto insurance claim.

What to do if you don’t have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage

Your auto policy might not include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you don’t have this coverage, you’ll need to rely on other coverage you might’ve bought. Collision coverage, for example, may pay for your damaged car. Personal injury protection can be used for injuries related to the accident. 

If you don’t have any of these coverages, you’ll need to pay for repairs, medical bills (unless you have health insurance), and maybe a rental car. You may then pursue the at-fault party to recover your costs.

FREE consultation to answer your car accident questions

FREE consultation with the law firm Althauser Rayan Abbarno with offices in Centralia and Olympia. CALL (360) 736-1301.

Since 1946, Althauser Rayan Abbarno has been representing individuals injured in car accidents, injured at work, and injured due to the negligence of others. CALL for your FREE injury consultation at (360) 736-1301.