Does the Governor’s face mask order impact your Concealed Pistol License?
On Tuesday, Governor Jay Inslee ordered that all persons must wear a face mask in public when unable to social distance. Does this order impact your rights under a Concealed Pistol License (CPL)?
Althauser Rayan Abbarno, LLP Attorneys have received calls from Lewis and Thurston County residents wanting information regarding the ability to carry a pistol concealed with a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL) while wearing a face mask, in compliance with the COVID-19 health orders.
It is legal for the holder of a valid CPL to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person while wearing a face mask. Many residents have referenced RCW 9.41.070, but there is no provisions preventing the wearing of face masks or covering. Several other states have a regulation that prevents those with a face covering from carrying a firearm, but Washington state does not have such a law.
Our attorneys have also received calls that local law enforcement is not processing Concealed Pistol Licenses at this time. Due to the backlog of requests, many local law enforcement agencies require appointments for fingerprinting and processing of CPLs. Here is a list of local agencies to call for more information or to schedule an appointment:
- Lewis County Sheriff’s Office: (360) 748-9286
- Centralia Police Department: (360) 330-7680
- Chehalis Police Department: (360) 748-8605
- Thurston County Sheriff’s Office: (360) 786-5500
Althauser Rayan Abbarno in Centralia & Olympia can help!
- Transferring a firearm (estate or probate transfer)?
- Restoration of the right to possess a firearm?
- Concealed Pistol Licensing laws?
- RCW 9.41.070: Concealed pistol license – Application – Fee – Renewal
- RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms
- RCW 9.41.040: Unlawful possession of firearms – Ownership, possession by certain persons – Restoration of right to possess – Penalties
- RCW 9.41.075: Concealed pistol license – Revocation
- RCW 9.41.047: Restoration of possession rights
- RCW 42.56.240: Public Records Act
- RCW 9.41.113: Transferring a Firearm (Sale, Gift, Estate Planning, Probate)
- RCW 9.41.040: Restoring Rights to Possess a Firearm
- Washington State Department of Licensing
Contact Althauser Rayan Abbarno in Centralia or Olympia
Learn more about your rights by calling Althauser Rayan Abbarno in Centralia and Olympia at (360) 736-1301 or visiting CentraliaLaw.com. If you’ve been charged with a crime, call our 24-hour hotline at (360) 880-2399 and speak to an attorney.