Althauser Rayan Abbarno Injury Attorneys explain;  Why do I need Automobile Insurance?

Among the first questions we ask our clients after an automobile collision is 1) Do you have insurance? And, 2) Do you know if the negligent driver has insurance?   Too often we consult with clients and either they or the negligent driver does not have insurance. Worst case- neither has any insurance!  Without insurance, your medical bills, wage loss, a rental car may become your personal responsibility until the claim is resolved through settlement or trial.

We can’t stress enough the importance of automobile insurance, under/uninsured motorist insurance (UIM), and Personal Injury Protection (PIP).

UIM protects an insured driver from losses due to another driver who doesn’t have auto insurance or who is not fully covered. PIP helps victims pay for medical expenses, wage loss, child care expenses, and other potential losses as a result of the collision. Insurance companies must offer PIP and UIM as part of the policy unless the client specifically waives the coverage in writing. child care expenses and other losses as a result the collision. Insurance companies must offer PIP and UIM as part of policies unless the insured specifically waives them in writing

Aside from the practical reasons to have automobile insurance, UIM, and PIP, the State of Washington has mandatory auto insurance laws (RCW 46.30), which requires anyone who drives a motor vehicle in Washington to do one of the following: 1) Carry liability insurance with liability limits of at least in the amounts of $25,000 for injuries or death to another person, $50,000 for injuries or death to all other people, and $10,000 for damage to another person’s property; 2) apply for a certificate of deposit to pay for your liability insurance with the Department of Licensing; or have a liability bond of at least $60,000.

If you don’t know your insurance coverage limits, request a copy of your policy or review your insurance card. Insurance companies send you a proof-of-insurance card that should show your limits.

If you’ve been in an automobile or motorcycle collision, contact Althauser Rayan Abbarno at (360) 736-1301 for a Free injury consultation in our Centralia or Olympia offices or visit us at